Monday, November 30, 2009

MEC 11/30

Greetings everyone. I trust you all had a safe and happy Thanksgiving break.

Remember that this week's prompt was inspired by Janisse Ray's visit, and a coupe of prompts she provided at the workshop (based in turn, I believe, on some prompts from writer Natalie Goldberg), and is a choice between the following:

1) "I remember..."

2) "If I were to tell the truth about myself..."

This week, we will be discussing The Secret Life of Bees. Here are some reading prompts for you to consider:

1) What are some of the metaphors and symbolism that Sue Monk Kidd uses in this book? Give speicfic examples from the text.

2) What is the significance of bee "society" and how does it paralell the story line?

3) There are several references to the moon iin the story. Earmark them and explain why they are significant.

4) And, as always, how does nature play a character in this story?

One last writing prompt will be given on Thursday as a result of our discusssion. It will be due in tutorial the following week.

The final paper is like the midterm: choose your best writing prompt response and develop it into a more fully formed essay. It will be due on or before December 14, at 1:30 PM.

There is no final exam.

No comments: