Greetings, everyone. I hope everyone had a safe, healthy, and happy winter break. Owing to an evolving family emergency, I may or may not be in class this first week of the semester. I have arranged for someone to come to class and hand out the syllabi, however, and s/he will tell you to check this blog for any necessary preliminary instructions. So without further ado, here they be:
NHH 3306 "Current Readings in Natural History":
We will begin our readings with Rebecca Solnit's book, A Field Guide to Getting Lost. Please go ahead and purchase this book from the bookstore. You may also purchase the others there as well, or wait to purchase them at your discretion.
We will spend approximately 2 weeks on each of the texts this semester, so you may begin reading now if you like. However, the first order of business will be to discuss/arrange the tutorial schedule. If I am not there on Wednesday, I will try very hard to be there on Friday, and we can proceed with scheduling and assignments from there.
NHH 1302 "Introductory Fieldcraft":
I should be back in LBB before class next week, so I am not too concerned at this point about giving you first-day instructions. However, you will find books available in the TTU bookstore; we will begin with the bird field guide.
There is also a short story to be picked up at Copytech; it must be read before the second class meeting. The short story is from the collection titled Light Action in the Carribbean, which is available, used and new, from various sources, for about the same price as the single short story (copyright fees). However you procure the short story, it must be read by the second class period.
Finally, pick up an Art Kit at Varsity Bookstore, in the art department. If you go in the north entrance, and look to your right, it should be on top of a glass counter, labeled "NHH 1302."
HONS 1304 "Landscapes":
A course packet should be available to you at Copytech by the end of this or the beginning of next week. Read the first entry, from Outside Lies Magic by Stilgoe (I believe the chapter is titled "Chapter One: Beginnings," though I do not have it right in front of me, so I can't be sure; in any case, it is the first one).
Read this and be prepared to discuss it in class next week. (Reading for discussion will be helped if, as you read the material, you imagine that you will be leading a discussion yourself. Ask yourself what questions you would ask about the things that interest you. What makes you curious about what the author says?)
An art kit is also available at Varsity bookstore in the art department. If you go in the north entrance, and look to your right, it should be on top of a glass counter, labeled HONS 1304, 3304, or 2304.
Meet in the classroom on Tuesday.
That's all! If there is anything else that crops up about which you might have questions, feel free to email me.
Thank you for your patience with my absence as I attend to matters associated with my father's passing.
No comments:
Post a Comment